Emblematic catholic temple restored in eastern Cuba
A 10-year restoration effort has successfully concluded at the El Santo Salvador Church, the main catholic temple in the eastern city of Bayamo, the second villa founded by the Spaniards in Cuba.
A major piece included in the restoration process was the church chapel, an
architectural jewel linked to the island's political history, since it was the place where the national flag that led Cuba's 1868 independence fight was blessed.
On the other hand, the music of the Cuban National Anthem was for the first time interpreted in the surroundings of the church on June 11, 1868.
The refurbishing and restoration of the symbolic cathedral in Bayamo, some
700 kilometers east of Havana, was financed by the local episcopate, the
Provincial Center of Cultural Patrimony, the UN Development Program, and some Italian institutions.