"I'm relieved. All I want is to see my children," declared Leobel, the father of two-year-old Cuban twins Leosdel and Leosniel, upon hearing the news that his sons were rescued alive along with other Cuban migrants after being adrift for several days in the Caribbean waters off Mexico.
Leobel, who has been residing in Cancun for nearly a year, spoke with journalist Mario Vallejo shortly after learning about the outcome of a journey that left several families anxious since August 11th.
Despite the initial relief, his worries persisted. Although Mexican authorities had reported that all passengers of the boat were safe, Leobel expressed that he had yet to speak with or see his sons.
Desperate for Reconnection
Leobel detailed that he received the news while in Cancun with relatives of other boat occupants. Initially, he got a message about the rescue, followed by official confirmation from the Mexican Navy that the group had been found and would be taken to Yucatán.
"I'm happy," he said upon learning that his family was alive. His main concern now was how to contact them. "They say they're well, but we haven't spoken to them. We need more information," Leobel explained.
The Cuban father implored, "I just want to see them, see my kids. I want to be allowed to see them because I haven't been able to yet." He noted that even a phone call would suffice to ease the family's anxiety: "Even if it's just a call. We want to know how they are."
Awaiting Answers in Cancun
Leobel was not alone in his wait. With him was Yunaidy Martínez Ramírez, another Cuban living in Cancun, whose husband was on the boat with their three young daughters.
"We're all here together, but they haven't told us anything or let us see them," Leobel described the challenging situation the families faced after the rescue confirmation.
Attempts to gather information from the National Institute of Migration (INM) were also fruitless. "We've called Immigration, but they haven't given us any details. All we want is to know if they're okay, how they are, or to talk to them, even if it's just by phone," he stated.
In the days of uncertainty, other relatives also turned to public media and social networks to seek assistance.
19 Cubans Rescued from Drifting Boat
On Thursday, Mexico's Navy (SEMAR) announced that the 19 Cubans found adrift in Yucatán waters, including 12 adults and seven minors, had been rescued.
An SEMAR source confirmed to AFP, "The Cubans have been recovered. They're on their way to the Naval Command."
This news ended the families' days of anxiety, who had been appealing for help to locate their loved ones since the boat's disappearance.
During the search, Leobel had previously shared with Vallejo the desperation he was experiencing. "Neither sleeping nor eating. I'm only drinking soda, nothing else," he had said when still unaware of his wife and children's whereabouts.
"Thank you to everyone who supported us," Leobel expressed his gratitude to those who followed the case and assisted the family during the search days.
Despite the relief of knowing his wife and children survived, he insisted on needing direct contact to ascertain their well-being. "All we ask is to be allowed to see them or talk to them by phone to know how they are. We're still worried because we haven't been able to speak with them yet," he concluded.
Ten Days of Uncertainty Since Departing Cuba
The boat set sail around 2:00 p.m. on August 11th from Cuyo, Pinar del Río, with 19 Cubans aboard. The last communication occurred about three and a half hours after departure. According to family accounts, the motor encountered issues, and fuel leaked due to an accidental spill after more than halfway through the journey. The person in charge attempted to continue the trip using a sail.
Supplies for the 19 occupants were scarce: two boxes of water, some crackers, a box of sodas, two boxes of juice, and two boxes of milk.
The disappearance triggered an intense mobilization by relatives, who from Cuba and Mexico disseminated photos and information about the travelers, pleading for help to locate the boat. This case underscored the dangers of maritime voyages undertaken by Cubans to escape the island. Just days before the rescue, young Leodannis Sánchez, 17, and his partner Osmaikel, 19, drowned in Sandino, Pinar del Río waters after their vessel capsized near Las Martinas while attempting the journey to Cancun.
FAQs About Cuban Migrants' Rescue
How long were the Cuban migrants adrift before being rescued?
The Cuban migrants were adrift for several days after departing on August 11th, before being rescued by the Mexican Navy.
Where were the Cuban migrants found?
They were found adrift in the waters off Yucatán by the Mexican Navy.
What were the conditions like on the boat during the journey?
The boat faced mechanical issues, lost fuel, and had limited provisions, including water, crackers, sodas, juices, and milk.