A recently unearthed audio recording from June 1996 reveals Raúl Castro admitting to ordering the shootdown of the Brothers to the Rescue planes. This recording has become the focal point of a formal accusation by the Federal Prosecutor's Office of the Southern District of Florida against the former Cuban leader, accusing him of the murder of four Cuban-Americans over three decades ago.
The audio, which lasts 11 minutes and 32 seconds, captures a meeting between Castro and Cuban journalists on the island, recorded four months after the tragic incident. At the time, Castro served as Minister of Defense and head of the Revolutionary Armed Forces. In the recording, Castro is heard stating, "I said try to bring them down over territory, but they entered Havana and left. Well, bring them down at sea if they appear; and don’t consult those with the authority."
The recording was obtained by Cuban journalist Wilfredo Cancio, who was then reporting on Cuban affairs for El Nuevo Herald in Miami. He published the exclusive on August 20, 2006, catching the attention of media worldwide. Cancio validated the authenticity of the recording with several experts and Alcibiades Hidalgo, Castro's former personal secretary, who confirmed the voice.
"What changes with this recording is that now there is a voice proof of Raúl Castro taking full responsibility," Cancio told El País. If the accusation goes forward, it would be "an act of historical justice," he added.
Remembering the 1996 Incident
The incident under investigation occurred on February 24, 1996, between 3:21 and 3:27 p.m., when Cuban Air Force MiG fighters shot down two Cessna C-337 planes belonging to Brothers to the Rescue over international waters in the Florida Straits. Armando Alejandre Jr. (45), Carlos Costa (29), Mario de la Peña (24), and Pablo Morales (29), all Cuban-American volunteers searching for rafters at sea, were killed. Their bodies were never recovered.
A third aircraft, carrying Arnaldo Iglesias among others, managed to escape. Now 88, Iglesias vividly remembers that day: "I recall the voices on the radio, the uncertainty, and then the silence. A silence that cannot be explained."
"I don't know if we'll see Raúl Castro in a U.S. court," Iglesias told El País. "But I want full acknowledgment of the truth. It must be established that four men were murdered by a dictatorship during a humanitarian mission."
Legal Implications and Future Actions
The formal accusation will be presented this Wednesday at the Freedom Tower in Miami, coinciding with Cuba's Independence Day, following approval by a federal grand jury. The case has lingered in impunity for nearly three decades. Federal Judge James Lawrence King previously ruled that the Cuban government acted with "outrageous disregard for international law and basic human rights" by "murdering four human beings in international airspace."
Cuba refused to compensate the families, but Washington authorized the release of $93 million in frozen Cuban assets. The accusation aligns with the Trump administration's maximum pressure strategy against the Cuban regime, which includes a nearly five-month oil blockade and a coordinated legal campaign. In March 2026, Florida's Attorney General had reopened the criminal investigation into the case.
Raúl Castro Ruz will turn 95 in June. Although there is no extradition treaty between Cuba and the United States, journalist Cancio noted that the May 20 announcement "is also a nod to the Cuban community": thirty years later, the eleven-minute recording that no one expected to exist could become the evidence that haunts Castro for the rest of his life.
Key Questions About the Brothers to the Rescue Case
What was the Brothers to the Rescue incident?
The Brothers to the Rescue incident refers to the February 24, 1996, shootdown of two Cessna planes by Cuban Air Force MiG fighters over international waters, resulting in the deaths of four Cuban-American volunteers.
Who confirmed the authenticity of Raúl Castro's recording?
The authenticity of Raúl Castro's recording was confirmed by journalist Wilfredo Cancio, various experts, and Alcibiades Hidalgo, Castro's former personal secretary.
What legal actions are being taken against Raúl Castro?
The Federal Prosecutor's Office of the Southern District of Florida is preparing a formal accusation against Raúl Castro for the murder of four Cuban-Americans, based on the newly revealed audio recording.