Cuban players no longer need permission from the US government to play in the majors
- Submitted by: Camila
- 02 / 10 / 2015
Cuban players will no longer have official permission to ask the US government to sign contracts with teams from Major League Baseball (MLB). From now on, Cubans only have to sign a statement confirming that they have taken permanent residence outside the island.
In a memorandum sent on Tuesday 30 teams, MLB executive vice president Dan Halem said the new rules due to amendments to the Rules of Cuban Assets Control (CACR), announced last month by the Office of Foreign Assets Control Abroad (OFAC, for its acronym in English), attached to the Treasury Department.
Halem said the clubs that the new legislation provides that "all Cuban prospect must submit an affidavit". MLB clubs provided a copy of the so-called "declaration of permanent residence outside of Cuba".
Aroldis Chapman, Yoenis Céspedes, Yasiel Puig and José Abreu highlighted in a recent wave of Cuban players who escaped the island and, after signing lucrative contracts, have shone in the majors.
Source: Diario de Cuba