Celebrations for the 493 anniversary of the city kick off in Camagüey
- Submitted by: admin
- 02 / 02 / 2007
The celebration evokes the birth of the then Spanish Villa de Santa María del Puerto del Príncipe, founded on February 2nd, 1514; and nowadays Cubas third largest city.
The curtains of this festivity rose with the debates of the First International Meeting Challenges on the maneuver of the cities, focused on the need to promote the harmony between the preservation of the cultural heritage and modernity.
A gathering of writers and an exhibition as well as artistic shows at the Ignacio Agramonte Park and at the Teatro Principal are some of the actions taken to commemorate this date.
Today the City Hall will hold a solemn session at the Plaza de San Juan de Dios, prior to this the Symphonic Orchestra and the local Chorus played the famous Requiem by the Austrian genius Wolfang Amadeus Mozart.
Founded by the northern harbor of Nuevitas, Santa María del Puerto del Príncipe had its second location in the Amerindian chiefdom of Caonao, and from 1528 on its definitive settlement between the rivers Tínima and Hatibonico.
Source: Radio Cadena Agramonte