Santa Clara Celebrates its 321st Anniversary
The first time was when Santa Clara was named a villa by the Spanish crownin the 19th century. General Manuel de Jesus Calvar attacked the city during the Ten Year War.
Later, on March 23, 1896, by orders of General Maximo Gomez the city was attacked a second time. On this occasion, forces under the control of Lt. Coronel Leoncio Vidal Caro who alongside his aid, Corporal Ramon Brito, were killed in the Plaza de Armas.
In December of 1958, the battle for Santa Clara became a legend. The brilliant strategy designed by Commander Ernesto Che Guevara provoked the control of the city by the rebels in only five days.
Once again, the Plaza de Armas, which turned into the Leoncio Vidal Park in memory of those that fell in combat, served as the scene of the battle. Still today, half a century later, the imprints of the struggle are visible in the concrete walls of the Santa Clara Libre Hotel.
Santa Clara also had Marta Abreu. She was the patriot that helped the most the Cuban Independence struggle with financial donations at the end of the 19th century. She donated the La Caridad Theater; four public laundries; a clinic for poor children and the first lights of the city, just to mention only a few.
Santa Clara has in addition, the honor of being the city of Che. SantaClara is also the site where the remains of the heroic guerrilla and comrades that fell in combat in Bolivia lay to rest.
This and much more is the villa that was born 321 years ago. Santa Clara is dressed in red and black, the colors of the flag that represents the July 26 Movement ready to celebrate the 57th anniversary of the attack against the Moncada and Carlos Manuel de Cespedes Garrisons which sparked the beginning of the struggle against the Batista dictatorship.
Courtesy of Vanguardia.cu website
source: Radio Rebelde